Wednesday, September 9, 2015

"So what do you do for fun?"

You go about thinking, “Yeah, I’m pretty normal, as people go,” until someone asks you what you do for fun…

“Er, well, I shoot a longbow, because I’m training to be a Combat Archer… er, in this Medieval Reenactment Society… Er, and I sculpt articulated art dolls… Um, and I sew things- I’m working on an art quilt for this Native American project I want to do for my tribe….   Why are you looking at me like that?”

Then they’re figuring, Oh, she has weird hobbies, but surely her JOB is normal rite?

“Well, a couple summers ago I was mostly making baskets, we needed like a hundred baskets for a market scene and they found out I could make them so I just sat and tied baskets for like two months, and after that I’ve been mostly either sewing or carving styrene foam.”
..”Styrene…?”
“Yeah, you know, Styrofoam ™. We carve it. Then the other department sculptors put cement over it and paint it and we have faux stone- we’ve been doing this city set with a lot of stone, and I cannot get the foam out of my hair or my set clothes…. You’re giving me that look again.”

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, that sort of realization is always a bit disconcerting. So it's always wonderful when you find someone who doesn't give you the "this person is really weird" look, but instead gives you the "that is so awesome!" look. :D

    ReplyDelete