Sunday, February 9, 2014

A Proverb

Forgiving is one thing. Forgetting is another. 

Once upon a time there was a man who was walking on a trail, and he found a rattlesnake, and since it was cold the snake was nearly dead. "Pick me up and put me in your shirt, Man," says the snake,"I'm cold and sick and you will warm me up." 
 "But you are a rattlesnake- if I put you in my shirt and you get all warm and wiggly, you'll bite me," says the man. 
"Oh, no I won't, I promise," says the snake, and so the man picked the snake up and put the snake inside his shirt. 
After a while the snake got warm, and being a rattlesnake, he bit the Man. 
 Man throws the snake on the ground and says, "Why did you do that? You promised!" 
The snake shrugs, and says, "You KNEW I was a rattlesnake when you picked me up."

Part 2, the important part: 

Man is sick and he goes to his medicine man to get cured of the snake bite so it doesn't kill him. He's sick a long time, and he talks with the medicine man. 
"Medicine Man," he says, "Our Creator says we need to forgive those who've done us wrong. I want to forgive the snake. That's good, right?"
 And Medicine Man says, "Yes, that's good, you should forgive him... but next time you see that rattlesnake and he asks you to pick him up, are you gonna?"

1 comment:

  1. Seen part 1 or some variation of it quite a few times, but part 2 is both new to me and the important part indeed.

    ReplyDelete