Thursday, January 19, 2012

In Which I Ask For Seconds of Zucchini

I am not a veggie person. I taste things on a level most people do not. I have a highly keyed sense of taste and smell. Not bragging, because it's no picnic, but them's the facts. Supposedly there are certain bitter chemicals in many vegetables that some people can taste and others can't- this is what determines if you like that vegetable or not. I can taste a lot of said bitter flavors in pretty much every vegetable. There are some, like green beans, that will make me physically sick just imagining the taste of.
And tonight I ate "second helpings" of Zucchini.

I mentioned earlier in this blog, about two entries ago, that I am changing how I eat. The zucchini thing is a response to a severe pizza craving. Now, I love pizza. I am a critic of pizza like some people love fine wines. I can tell you which delivery pizza has which qualities to it, which ones are crap and which are heavenly, and which frozen pizzas are best, and which places in town serve the best oven baked pizza. I love pizza so much. So now I am not letting myself have white flour and the thing I miss most is my beloved New York Pie.

I hollowed out some zucchini, spread them thinly with coconut oil, sprinkled on garlic and Italian spices, then roasted them. For the last few minutes of roasting I filled them with pizza toppings. Then my friends and I ate them.
It ain't pizza, but it ain't bad.
Next I'm going to try this cauliflower and egg "crust" someone else on the internet has made. I'm using the site Pinterest to get good recipes and keep all my good ideas for food together, and I'm going to try a few new recipes each week. The Zucchini pizza boats were very fast to fix, and very easy to do, so they will probably get repeated later, often.

No comments:

Post a Comment